Saturday 10 November 2007

Kyle Hoffman 17, Gone to Heaven

Ed came up our stairs, knocked on the door, opened it and said, "Pray for Kyle Jr., he's been in a car accident. We think it's bad." Of course we would and he said, "Thanks." and headed back down to their apartment. This was around 11 pm. Sunday, October 28th.

I prayed and waited. Finally I came back here and played my favourite game. Words were going through my head at warp speed. Finally, the Lord let me know that I needed to get downstairs. Around 12:30 a.m. as I walked down our stairs, I heard sobbing. I went back up half-way and told my son, "They're crying." And back down, tapped and opened the door.

Next thing I knew Marie was sobbing. She said, "The Doctors don't expect him to live past 8 more hours." Oh my heart . . She held on and I hugged her and her body shook as she cried. Then I saw my son next me tapping my shoulder. Marie saw him and turned to him. I walked over to be near Bonnie. She was on the phone and I just patted her shoulder. She was concentrating on the phone and couldn't raise her head.

They were gathering everything and getting ready pack up in the van to head out to Harper's Ferry WV. Kyle (and Chris) had called to tell Bonnie & Ed and Marie the bad news about Kyle Jr. Kyle Jr., the brother of Marie. Kyle was in the hospital. The next thing they heard was that he would not recover and was given about 8 hours to live.

Kyle is the second, and last, son to get into a vehicle accident. A brother he never knew, Joey, died almost 20 years ago. He was 6 or 7 and had exited his assigned school bus. I have no idea how long he waiting before he thought it was safe to cross.

But he decided it was and as he started walking across the road, the school bus started moving. The driver later claim that Joey couldn't be seen. That may be true. But I can't vouch for it. I have been in a Semi. And in the truck you are very high and can see. But school buses are not that high. And so Joey's little body was run over by his school bus.

My guess is that the driver didn't check across the street or on the side of the door. All I know is that a lot of safety rules came as a result, according to Ed & Bonnie (Papa & Grammy). And that poor driver has to live with that day forever.

After Joey was killed, that left his only sister Marie, around 3. Then after Joey's death, a couple of years later, after a successful vasectomy reversal, Chris became pregnant with Kyle Jr. In the aftermath of the loss of their first son, both Chris and Kyle Sr. became Believers. And they rejoiced at the impending birth of their second son. He was born on April 15, 1990. 

Kyle went into rebellion in mid-teens. But recently, he came back to the Lord for His fellowship. The Lord hadn't walked away, Kyle had. That is if he was saved before the rebellion . . If he got saved during his rebellion, then that started him changing, becoming a new creature. I only know the family is positive Kyle was saved.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. KJAV
And he fell in love with Andrea. She became pregnant and they both looked forward to the baby and he was taking it all very seriously. Their daughter is due around the end of January.

On Sunday night, Kyle was being driven home with his friend who had just bought a sports car. They live in WV which tends to be rather curvy with the mountains and all. Well the friend was really pushing the car and at 80 mph lost control heading into oncoming traffic. In a van was a driver who saw the car careening and swerved to avoid it. The van and car collided, but not directly head-on. The two passenger sides crunched together.

The driver of the sports car was killed instantly. Kyle was knocked unconscious (don't know the extent of other injuries). In the van was the driver, a Pastor, his wife and 9 year old daughter. The Pastor's wife is still in the hospital but will recover. The Pastor and his daughter were treated and released.

Kyle was rushed to ICU. Whatever else the Doctors and Nurses had to do, I don't know. But he was unresponsive and the Doctors said he may last another 8 hours. His family was present when he went home to Heaven. And his Fiance' was there as well. She is due in January or February '08.

Again. We didn't want to believe it. But again the Lord takes another son. Oh the hurt of merely thinking about it.

But this time Dad reacted much different. The pain doesn't lesson a second time. But this time Kyle Sr. had Jesus to carry him and his wife. They have gone as Missionaries to Chile twice. 

Philippians 4:17 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. KJAV


I never met Kyle Jr. But I got to know him through Bonnie & Ed talking about him as we've become close friends. And I've met Kyle Sr. and Chris. And I know Marie very well. Her two children are Leah (3) and Dakota (2). And I know Tanya, Bonnie's daughter and Ed's step-daughter. But Bonnie & Ed both brought up Tanya. And Tanya's very special daughter, Angel. She is very smart, very much an only children close to her Mom.
 
My son and I both shed tears and were so troubled. Then Marie called my son to let him know that Kyle Jr. had died. He told me when he came home from work Monday afternoon. I cried for I had so hoped for a miracle that was not meant to be. 

Please remember something so special. Say "I love you." everytime your loved one is going out somewhere or you are. Say it to your husband, your wife, your son, your daughter, your Mother or your Father. You never know. That may be that last thing you tell them and that's wonderful. I know.

Kyle Hoffman Jr.
Born April 15, 1990
Gone Home
October 29, 2007
2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. KJAV








No comments: